What Santa Gave Your Senator This Year
by: Tamara Keith AND Adam Wollner, NPR, December 18, 2013 6:12:00 pm
In a year that featured divisive fights over the budget, health care and presidential nominations, the United States Senate took a break from partisan bickering Tuesday night to get in the Christmas spirit.
A total of 65 senators — 42 Democrats and 23 Republicans — took part in a gift exchange after the day's final votes were tallied. As NPR congressional correspondent Tamara Keith reported Wednesday on Morning Edition, Secret Santa is taking shape as something of a tradition in the upper chamber, as this is the third year in a row the event has taken place.
Here are some of the stocking stuffers that were swapped this year:
- From Al Franken To Joe Donnelly
- From Kirsten Gillibrand To Joe Manchin
- From Joe Manchin To Marco Rubio
- From Chris Murphy To Tim Scott
- From Tim Scott To Chris Coons
- From Bill Nelson To Heidi Heitkamp
- From Jack Reed To Carl Levin
- From Ted Cruz To Bob Casey
- From Chuck Schumer To Jeanne Shaheen
- From Kelly Ayotte To Patrick Leahy