Inclement Weather Information
by: KUHF Staff, February 3, 2011 6:02:00 pm
Due to inclement weather, many organizations are canceling activities and closing. KUHF is compiling a list of these closures, as well as the opening of warming centers around the city.
City of Houston:
- The City of Houston will be closed on Friday, February 4, due to predicted hazardous weather conditions. All non-essential city personnel will stay home, but emergency workers will report to work as scheduled. See individual department web pages for information on city services or call 3-1-1.
- The Houston Parks and Recreation Department (HPARD) Community Centers with weekend hours will open at 12 noon on February 5, 2011.
- Municipal Courts will reopen Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 8 a.m.
- Houston Transtar - a list of lane closures for the coming weekend can be found on the Transtar website.
- HISD -All Houston ISD schools will be closed Friday. Many Saturday events rescheduled or cancelled, visit the HISD website for more information.
- University of Houston - All classes canceled for Friday and Saturday
- Other Schools - Please refer to the school closings page, or visit your school's website for updates.
- Blaffer Art Museum - closing at 2:30pm, February 3rd; will reopen Saturday, February 5
- Houston Grand Opera - Friday, February 4 evening performance of Dead Man Walking will go ahead as planned at 7:30PM at the Wortham Center.
- Rice University Shepherd School of Music - February 4 Karim Al-Zand faculty recital "Cabinet of Curiosities" postponed.
- Moores School of Music - February 4 Piano Festival recital has been postponed until the afternoon of February 5. See the Moores School website for details. The Moores School of Music Society annual Gala, originally scheduled for February 4, has been cancelled.
- Ensemble Theater - February 4 performance of Gee's Bend has been canceled
- METRO is providing warming areas at Transit Centers so patrons have temporary shelter from bitter cold and windy conditions. METROLift “Operation Warm” vehicles will be at 20 area Transit Centers and remain in place during normal METRO service hours.
- Houston-Area YMCA - closures will be updated here
- Houston Municipal Courts - courts will close at 4pm, February 3; will remain closed until 8am on February 5. Individuals who are scheduled to appear in court will have the opportunity to reset their case(s).
- Houston Libraries - will close at 6pm on February 3 and will remain closed through February 4